Thursday, December 5, 2013

Day 17: Kamakura (November 27th)

I decided to go it alone to Kamakura to see the daibutsu and the area around it. After lunch I took a train from Shinjuku out to Kamakura's Hase. From the train, I managed to see the best view of Mount Fuji I had during the whole trip. One summer, I'll return to Japan and climb it. After riding the train for more than an hour I arrived in Kamakura and took the local subway out to Hase. From Hase station I walked to the Great Buddha. In the area with the Great Buddha, there were monks praying, artists painting, and of course many tourists.














After visiting Kamakura's Great Buddha, I went to the local temple, Hasederaji. It has a walkway that takes visitors to the top of a small mountain. The view was great, I managed to see the ocean and much of Kamakura. The temple has many of the same fixtures and features of the previous temples I visited, but it also had a unique cave. My height didn't allow me to fully explore the cave.



































































The temple-cave I could barely walk in




A sign that I couldn't but take a picture of

As I was leaving Kamakura, I bumped into an American exchange student named Carlos. He told me about the Ofuna, which I only got to see from the train. He thanked me for the conversation in English before he got off the train in Totsuka. I rode the train back to Shinjuku and after arriving at the station I decided to explore around the station before meeting up with Matt and Troy for dinner.








Christmas Decorations near the station







The "hot" sign was on


Christmas in Japan is romantic


No comments:

Post a Comment